Quarantined Students Face Make-Up Work

Edan Zinn

Upper School students are required to take rapid tests twice each week. Photo illustration by Edan Zinn

Kate Hirschen, Brimmer and May School

NESPA Winner: News Story, 2022

The Gator, Brimmer and May School, Chestnut Hill, Mass.

With concurrent learning on Zoom no longer offered at the School and local cases of COVID-19 rising due to the Omicron variant, some students here report worrying that a positive COVID-19 test could affect their academics. 

Last month, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) shortened the recommended quarantining period for asymptomatic people from 10 to five days. The period is equal to a full school week, and students must make up any assessments, projects, or homework they miss. Missing this period of time can cause anxiety, according to some students here.

Zak Adler ‘23 is one of several students at the School who tested positive for COVID-19 after Winter Break. As the second semester of what he calls one of the most “high-pressure years” is approaching, Adler said he had mixed feelings about spending time away from the classroom.

“I usually don’t get stressed about missing school because I know teachers will extend due dates for me,” Adler said. “However, I can see how it could be stressful for some people because there were no Zoom classes available to join, and it could be easy to fall behind.” 

Read the full story here.