Girls’ hockey brings home state title

Joe Lamburn

The girls’ hockey team celebrates their Division 2 State Championship win on March 20th.

Andrew Roberts, Algonquin Regional High School

NESPA Winner: Sports Story, 2022

The Harbinger, Algonquin Regional High School, Northborough, MA

Girls’ hockey took down the Canton Bulldogs in a 2-1 overtime victory at TD Garden to win the Division II state championship on Sunday March 20.

In a new ranking system that gave teams an overall seed (or ranking) within their division across the state, Algonquin’s co-op team including Hudson, Marlborough, Clinton, AMSA and Nashoba was seeded #10 in the playoff bracket, while Canton was seeded #9. While many other state championships in other sports and/or divisions consist of higher-seeded teams, there were many surprises across the 33-team girls’ hockey bracket that allowed both teams the opportunity to make it this far.

Coming into the game, Algonquin was seen as the underdog. Canton had made it to two recent state championships and this year, both their boys and girls teams made it to the Garden.

“It was a really good feeling to have a bunch of people doubting you and then come out on top,” sophomore Bryn Domolky said.

The Bulldogs started the game up 1-0. Heading into the 3rd period, Canton had the edge.

“We just needed to step it up, play our game, and focus on what needed to be done, which was scoring a goal,” sophomore Mallory Farrell from Marlborough said.

Read the full story here.