How to improve sports coverage to be fall workshop focus

How to improve sports coverage so that it serves as a magnet will be the focus of the New England Scholastic Press Association’s fall workshop Thursday, Nov. 10 from 10-12 at Boston University.

A. Sherrod Blakely to give presentation

The workshop, “Expanding Your Sports Coverage: Getting Beyond the Game Story,” will feature a presentation by A. Sherrod Blakely as well as a panel discussion by school journalists and advisers regarding effective approaches to
sports coverage.

Blakely is a lecturer in the Journalism Department at Boston University’s College of Communication. He comes to BU having spent 11 years as the Boston Celtics Insider for NBC Sports Boston, where he won Boston.com’s A-List Celtics Reporter of the Year award in 2011.

In addition to his work at BU, Blakely currently creates NBA-related content for Facebook’s Bulletin.com website and is an NBA Front Office Insider for Bleacher Report. He is also the creator and co-host of the A-List Podcast.

Blakely previously covered the Detroit Pistons for the award-winning Mlive.com website, and was a beat writer with a focus on ACC football and men’s basketball for the Raleigh (N.C.) News & Observer.

As part of his commitment to journalism education Blakely serves as the chair of the National Association of Black Journalists’ Sports Task Force, which awards scholarships and internships, while also being an advocate for increased newsroom diversity.

Program 10-12, Thursday, Nov. 10

Tom Fabian, NESPA executive director and adviser of the Newtonite at Newton North High School, will lead the panel, which will include reporters, editors and advisers from New England scholastic publications.

Also during the program, there will be opportunities for participants to work in groups on specific techniques their own staffs can use to improve their coverage and reporting about student athletes, coaches and teams for their own school audiences.

Staffs and advisers from all student media are welcome to attend the workshop. Tuition is $10 per
person.

The deadline for registration is Friday, Oct. 28.

Please see the Fall, 2022 Newsletter for the registration form and details.